May 7, 2019

Who Am I?

My name is Britney George. As an individual I am made up of so many different aspects. Personally I am a fun-loving, sarcastic, and caring individual. Academically, I am a hard-working, motivated, and helpful individual. These two mix together to make what you see in front of you, Britney. I am an eighteen year old college student in her second semester of her freshman year of college. I was born in the Caribbean in a country known as Trinidad and Tobago but was raised here, in the beautiful and constantly active New York City. I have lived in Queens, New York with my family for as long as I can remember. I lived in a household that was as alive as Manhattan on a Friday night. There were always people coming and going but no matter what it was always my Mom, Dad, Sister, and I throughout the majority of my childhood.

My sister and I were born sixteen years apart and despite this age gap we’ve always been pretty close. We came here together without our parents (they were already here) when she was sixteen and I was about eleven months old. Growing up she always took care of me and still does to this day. Whether it’s sending me money randomly to go out or helping me fill out financial aid she’s always there. My Mom and Dad are always checking up on me as well just to make sure that I am okay just as any parent would. My Mom is usually at work but when she is home we sit and talk about how her day at work was or what my future will look like. My Dad on the other hand is a little more well dad like. While he is usually at work like my Mom when we do hang out we just watch tv and play games on our phones, there’s the occasional five minute conversation where we point and laugh at something on the television or just have a conversation about something completely random but then we go back to whatever we were doing. Things are a little different now that I am no longer at home all the time

As I’m growing and being thrown more and more into the world of “adulting” I have begun to realize so many more things about the world and just myself in general. I’m continuously developing and realizing things about myself. College has taught me more about myself rather than my designated career. It has made me question and adjust so many things in my life. My ideals are something that is very deeply rooted into me and it takes a lot to change them. College has made me do this more times than I can count. This has mainly made me completely adjust my view of how I want to get to my goals in life and making me think more realistically about it.

My future was and still is not thoroughly planned out although it has some guidelines. At the start of my first semester I had hoped to be working in a hospital as a clinical psychologist upon graduation. I wanted to be able to travel and simply experience life at its fullest. Now, at the beginning of my second semester I am rethinking and adjusting my goals. I would still very much like to travel and experience life but I am rethinking my major as many college students do when they first begin attending. I am realizing how impatient I am to actually begin my life. On a normal day I am a pretty patient person but recently I have been so eager to start my life. I want to be able to travel and live on my own but my current major has a very time consuming path. This is causing me to reconsider seeing as it does not align with the simple guidelines I have set for where I want to be in a few years. The one thing I want to do more than anything in the world is travel. I just want to go places and completely immerse myself in the culture and have many experiences.

During the short amount of time I have attended college at The City College of New York I have taken a range of classes. This semester while take my Writing for Social Sciences class I have begun to explore more of what a social scientist is. Although I do not have that much knowledge right now I want to believe that the role of a social scientist is to help others in areas that they cannot help themselves. To me that makes sense when applied to my current major because psychologists help people who are mentally ill and cannot see certain things for themselves. They need the guidance of someone else who is certified and has extended knowledge of what they are experiencing. I believe that this class can benefit me in multiple ways regardless of if I decide to change my major or not. There are certain skills that you can pick up when placed into the role of social scientist that when carried into other parts of your life can be beneficial.